Summer Camp: Emerald Bay ... July 15-21, 2012
Summer camp is the quintessential scout experience where adventure 'n advancement and comraderie 'n competition come together. This year Troop 777 will again have the opportunity to journey to Emerald Bay, a very popular camp nestled in a secluded valley on the northeast end of Catalina Island. The camp overlooks a serene, aquamarine bay complete with its own mini island. Although the waterfront is the main focus of activity, the camp affords access to the island's undisturbed natural interior. From camp ambitious hikers can reach the island's highest point and land's end, Catalina's northernmost terminus. Aquatic activities such as the eight man 'war' canoe over-nighter, water sports merit badges, kayaking, and snorkeling make this a truly unique camp. For more information visit the Camp Emerald Bay website. There are also videos on YouTube.
Costs / Prerequsites
Cost is $689 per scout; $424 per adult leader. This includes the boat fare to and from the island. An additional fee will be collected to reimburse parents driving to/from San Pedro.Please note that all payments made are non-refundable once received. Fees, due dates, late fees and cancellation policies are set by the West Los Angeles County Council.
Prequisites. All scouts and adult leaders must:
- be fully registered with the troop
- have a current Annual Health/Medical Form (valid through 07/21/2012) on file with the Troop Registrar.
- have a copy of medical insurance card on file with Troop Registrar.
In addition, all adult leaders must have completed Youth Protection Training with a certificate (valid through 07/21/2012) on file with the Troop Registrar.
What to Bring (Please Check Back for Updates)
- mess kit (plate and eating utensils) for overnight canoe trip
- one or more Troop 777 Class B shirts for day use and
overnight canoe trip
- full Class A uniform for evening meals
- swim trunks & t-shirts due to close proximity to beach
- jacket or sweatshirt for night-time use
Luggage. It is highly recommended that scouts use a duffel bag no larger than 14” x 36” with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. Your luggage will be handled by others when it is loaded and unloaded from the boat. Any breakable items should be in a separate carry-on bag. External frame backpacks and bags with wheels are discouraged as they break and/or cause damage to the handlers.
Please use a piece of duct tape or mark on your bag, in easily readable letters, the scout’s name and T777 SDIC.
Camp Information Night: June 25, 2012
We will be collecting:
(1) SPENDING MONEY. Spending money should be in a plastic baggie with the scout's name on it. We recommend that the funds be in $5 or $10 bills so it can be gradually handed out during the week. The scout is responsible for all monies once it is turned over to him; he may not return it to the parent in charge. Generally, the scout takes about $80 to camp. The camp has a small store to buy snacks and supplies for the handicraft merit badges. Cost of renting snorkel equipment is $15/day. If your scouts wants to do alot of snorkeling, Costco typically has snorkel gear for $35 this time of year.
(2) MEDICATIONS. Please put all medications in a plastic baggie with the scout's name on it; make sure to include clear dosing instructions for all medications. One of the parents attending camp will be responsible for all medications.
(3) FORMS. The following forms must be turned in:
- Emerald Bay Youth Liability Form to Janet Braun
- Annual Health & Medical Record to Jerry Shiller
- Copy of Medical Insurance Card to Jerry Shiller
> > > IMPORTANT < < < Scouts will not be allowed to go to camp unless they have turned in all of the above forms by June 25th!
Merit Badge Information
Energy, Camping Merit Badge Prerequisites:
If you are planning to do the Energy or Camping merit badges, you must complete a Merit Badge Prerequisite Form.
This form must be signed by your parent/guardian and our scoutmaster, Mr Blakely. Take the form to camp to present it to the merit badge counselor for that badge in order to be able to complete the badge at Emerald Bay.
For Camping MB, you must have already earned 20 nights of camping. Please request a copy of your Scout History Report from Mr. Shiller at least 2 weeks prior to camp. Take the report to camp to show your merit badge counselor.
Travel to and from San Pedro(Please Check Back for Updates)
Depart for San Pedro: Sunday, July 15 at 7:45AM from Sports Authority
Return from San Pedro: Saturday, July 21 at approx. 3:30PM at Sports Authority **
Transportation TBA, but most likely we will need parents to volunteer to drive either on Sunday, 7/15 or on Saturday, 7/21.
Scouts must check in prior to leaving for San Pedro. They will not be allowed to go to camp unless all required forms were previously turned in. The health forms will be checked by Emerald Bay personnel prior to boarding the boat to Catalina. Scouts are not allowed to board if there is not a copy of their health form in the packet we give to Emerald Bay prior to boarding.
** A phone chain of the scout's parents will be setup to notify parents 15 to 30 minutes before the boys arrive back at Sports Authority on Saturday.